Through our rigorous bottom-up research process we gain an in-depth understanding of Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) issues at a company level before they escalate and potentially threaten the value of our clients’ investments.
ESG is part of our investment process
There are four important inputs into how we analyse ESG for each company that we research - our analysts, our specialist ESG team, external research and our portfolio managers who actively consider ESG in their investment decisions.
An evolution of ESG at Fidelity
We are continually striving for enhanced ESG integration into our investment process.
We included controversy data such as environmental disasters, product safety recalls and bribery scandals in our ESG rating methodology.
Our analysts continued their extensive research on climate change and electric vehicles and their impact on industry and the environment.
We launched a new feature on our research management database to more systematically track ESG engagement and analysis.
We developed a diagnostic tool to identify the key drivers behind the MorningStar sustainability ratings and used this for portfolio analysis on ESG matters.
Contributing to global standards
We participate in the debate over the development of appropriate standards for responsible investment through our membership in these forums:
- International Corporate Governance Network
- Asian Corporate Governance Association
- Asia Securities Industry and Financial Markets
- Hong Kong Investment Funds Association
- The Association of British Insurers the Corporate Governance Forum, Investment Association and UK Sustainable
- Investment and Finance Association in the UK
- The Dutch Association of Investors for Sustainable Development
In addition, we are signatories to the UK Stewardship Code and the Japanese Stewardship Code.